What Is Positioning?
What is the first word that comes to your mind when someone mentions the word BMW?
Most probably this word will either be luxury, elegance or money.
What is the first word that comes to your mind when someone mentions Volvo?
Most people will think of the word “safe”.
Why did you think of certain words when you heard these brands names?
This happened because the manufacturers of those brands positioned their brands in a certain part of your mind. For marketing people, positioning is associating a product with a certain image that is printed in the person’s mind.
So you may be wondering, what does this has to do with personal development? There is actually a strong relation between the two. Ever asked yourself: what is the first word that comes to people’s minds when your name is mentioned? Is it “strong”? Is it “confident”? Or is it “loser”?
The word that comes to their minds reflects your positioning strategy and how successful you were in positioning yourself.
How to Position Yourself
Now that you know the importance of positioning, Here is how you can position yourself in people’s minds:
- First Impression: The first impression you leave is very important. Even before you start talking people can form an impression of you. There are some very good techniques that you can use to leave a very good first impression, Check out leaving a positive impression.
- Your Hobbies and Interests: What if you met a person and on your first meeting learned that he has a black belt in kung fu? What will you think of him after he leaves? You will probably think that he a physically strong person. What if you found that a person is interested in arts or drawing? You may think that this person is creative or sensitive. So as you can see, your hobbies and interests represent an important part of your positioning. Of course I am not asking you to find a new hobby just to position yourself but what you should do is to select the right hobby hobby to talk about depending on the image you want to put in people's minds. You can change your positioning strategy according to the situation you are in (for example talking about different hobbies when being with different people).
- Colour Psychology: Every color that you wear leaves a certain impression in the viewer’s mind. Wearing dark blue will leave the impression that you are loyal and trustworthy while wearing red may leave the impression that you are confident and energetic. Read more about color psychology to know how you can use colors to position yourself.
- Body Language: You can force someone to form a good impression of you without even speaking to him just by manipulating your body language. See the ultimate guide for body language for more on how to leave the impression that you want.
- Your Tone of Voice: Another important part of body language is the tone of voice. Your tone can make you appear wise, confident, sensitive or energetic.
- The mystery of the unknown If you have certain good skills then use them without explaining how you learned them. For example if you read a lot about communication skills then don’t let people know that you did but just let them feel the effect. In this case people will use their imagination to try to guess how you do these things. If you want to read more then check out this article
- Other Factors: Everything you do and everything that is related to you will affect your positioning strategy. The music that you hear, the style of clothes you wear, the car that you drive and even your mobile's ring tone.
Your strategy for positioning yourself should depend on how you want people to perceive you. The idea is very simple: just decide how do you want people to see you then use all of the previous techniques to position yourself in their minds.
2knowmyself is not a simple article website nor it’s a place where you will find shallow fixes, but it’s a place where you will find effective techniques that are backed by psychology and that are presented in obvious and understandable format. If you think that this is some kind of marketing hype then see what other visitors say about 2knowmyself.The book How to make someone fall in love with you was released by 2knowmyself.com; the book will dramatically increase your chance of letting someone fall in love with you.
Did that help?
How to leave a positive first impression.
More about body language.
Tell me more about color psychology.
How to know if someone is lying to you in 10 minutes (Free Ebook) How to make someone fall in love with me? How to get over anyone in few days? How to become rich while working from home
2knowmyself Best Selling Books