why you should never follow the crowd

By M.Farouk Radwan, MSc.

Blindly following the crowd

These days most people follow the same path their colleagues and friends followed just not to seem odd. As soon as someone starts doing anything differently the members of the crowed he belongs to quickly try to bring him back by calling him names such as insane, mad or crazy and by warning him about the dangerous he might face if he moved alone.

When you don't know what to do it might seem like a very good idea to do the same things that others are doing. After all, a very large number of people can hardly be wrong, right?

For the first instance following the crowd might seem like a smart decision but after you get to know how groups of people think you will discover that following a large number of people might be the worst thing you can ever make.

Why you should never follow the crowd

  • 1) How it begins: A study has shown that almost half of the people passing by a building will stop and look up if they saw few people looking up. Now what if the first few people made a big mistake by looking at absolute nothing? wont they get followed by a very large number of people? Yes this will happen for sure and that's the first reason why you should never follow a crowed unless you know what you are doing (see also Social proof theory)
  • 2) Groups protect their beliefs by collecting the wrong evidence: A member of a group will always collect incorrect information or half complete facts just to prove his group's beliefs true. Because our perception usually works on selective basis people end up believing more in the group they followed even if they weren't sure about it in the beginning
  • 3) Most people are attached to the status quo: Most people will never feel safe outside of their comfort zone and as a result they will keep reminding themselves that they are doing the right thing just not to admit that they are afraid to face their fears. A perfect example of that would be the miserable employee who hates his job yet keeps telling himself that he can never find another one
  • 4) Most people distort their beliefs about reality: To escape from guilt, responsibility and to raise their self esteem. Most people lie to themselves and eventually believe the lies. A person might claim that he is happy with his life, even when he is miserable, just to feel good about himself (see also Self deception)
  • 5) People infect each other with negative beliefs: Out of every 10 people who believe that a certain task is impossible you will find only one person who actually tried to do the task. While 1% of people take actions and build their own beliefs about life the remaining 99% acquire their beliefs from others without bothering to put them to test!

Most people don't see the world correctly

In the Solid Self confidence program i said that most people don't see reality correctly. Their emotions, their beliefs and their way of thinking motivates them to distort reality, lie to themselves, collect selective data about the world and come up with wrong conclusions.

When people form a group they usually infect each other with their incorrect beliefs and together they come to see an even more distorted reality.

Unless a person is brave enough not to lie to himself and unless a person has enough courage to be different his presence in a group will only let him see reality from a different angle.

2knowmysef is not a complicated medical website nor a boring online encyclopedia but rather a place where you will find simple, to the point and effective information that is backed by psychology and presented in a simple way that you can understand and apply. If you think that this is some kind of marketing hype then see what other visitors say about 2knowmyself.

The Solid confidence program was launched by 2knowmyself.com; the program will either help you become more confident or give you your money back.

Want to know more?

How people escape from reality

The secret to getting what you want in life

Why you shouldn't care about rejections

How to get over anyone in few days (book)

How to make anyone fall in love with me fast (book)

How to end Depression instantly (book)

How to control people's minds (Course)

How to develop rock solid self confidence fast (course)

Hundreds of Psychology Videos

2knowmyself Best Selling Books

How to make someone fall in love with you.
Based on the psychology of falling in love

How to get over anyone in few days
Breakups will never hurt like before.

How i became a dot com millionaire
The ultimate guide to making money from the internet